Sunday, April 14, 2013

Preparations continue

Now that I have made a decision to move forward, several things have occurred.

I am making sure that my current job will be established for me to work remotely. So far that is turning out fine.

Because I will be working for my current employer, I was unsure as to what type of visa I would actually need. I started by checking the Consulate website (www.travel.state.gov/visa). There is a section for Americans traveling abroad, which had specific requirements by country.

It also recommended that whether planning to visit, work or live abroad that Americans register in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), which in case of emergency the US Consulate will know you are there and how to get in touch with you and/or evacuate you in case of an emergency. You can also supply information for an emergency contact back in the States; which I think it is a great idea, so I took care of that.

There was information on contacting your local French Embassy to start the visa process. In Texas, the French Embassy is in Houston. I sent them an email explaining my situation to find out what type of visa I would actually need since I will technically still be working in the U.S. I also inquired on the types of visas I would need for my kids.

I've also been doing apartment hunting research, because at some point I am going to need to supply a Paris address in the visa process.

So, things are moving forward. More soon to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment