Friday, May 3, 2013

News, News, News

Ok, I previously mentioned that I had contacted the French Consulate in Houston, Texas (closest to me) to find out what kind of visa I would require given that I would be still working for my current employer in the U.S.; that was on April 14th.

As of this morning I had not heard back from them, so I decided to email them again. Two hours later I got a reply. For myself and my son, I would be able to get long-stay visas and because he is a minor his dad would have to give authorization for me to take him to France (no problem). Once I am in Paris if I find a job there, I would have to return to the U.S. to file for a work visa. For my daughter, because she will be attending college in Paris, she would get a student visa and that it would permit her to work 60% of legal time.

Well damn, I'll be going to school too to pursue my Ph.D., so I will be able to get a student visa instead and legally work 60%. Yay!!!!! How awesome is that?! So now I'll be able to keep my current job (for a while) and work legally in Paris with a student visa. That would give me an opportunity to network and eventually find a permanent position and acquire a carte de sejour, which is a residency permit that will allow me to legally work in France 100%.

I'm feeling better now and can now proceed with my plans. I'm waiting to receive information about this apartment I found through Book Your Paris. Hopefully that will work out. I've found several interesting apartments through their site that are within my current budget and a good size for the 3 of us.

I'm excited....more to come!

Mwah!

2 comments:

  1. Really glad to hear that more alternatives are coming to light. Have you been accepted to a PhD as yet and do you know in which French city you will be studying? And your daughter's going to be studying in France as well! Wow!! What a boon that it's all aligning and you guys will be together. Any French lessons going? Could be a key to success. Wishing you best of luck in the next phases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks

      I'm still trying to get my application paperwork in, but it looks good.

      Both my daughter and I would be studying in Paris and my son will be completing high school there.

      I am studying French but I do better when immersed.

      Delete