Thursday, December 27, 2012

A rude awakening

7am, midnight in Dallas. I Skype my kids to make sure they get to bed ok.

My roommate and I decide to go out for breakfast, but as I get out of bed to go to the bathroom I notice something really odd...my feet HURT!

I take a hot shower and go back to my bed and realize the bottoms of my feet are covered in humongous blisters (Thanks Christian!).  Really, my first full day in Paris and I'm already injured...only me.

We go to a cafe in the courtyard of the Fontaine des Innocents, find a nice place and get breakfast. I get a cafe au lait and some fresh fruit. Becky gets a cafe au lait and crepes.

This time of day in Paris is wonderful. The crowds are not out yet, its peaceful, there is a slight chill in the air and I'm in great company. We enjoy these precious moments before going back to the hotel to make sure the students are up and ready (we heard them sneaking out last night) and to meet our guide.

All is good until we realize that how we walk and how Parisians walk are vastly different. We had to jog to keep up with this woman. She had the itinerary down and knew how long it would take her to get to each location and we had to run to keep up. Did I mention my feet hurt? And I think the students overdid it the night before, LOL. Coming from a School of Architecture, an opportunity to sketch would have been great...maybe with a different guide.

This day was pretty much a day full of running, could have been more enjoyable if it had been recognized that we are also tourists and would like an opportunity to appreciate our surroundings. Everywhere we went was nice though. All walking, no metro at all.

We stopped at a cafe for lunch, at which point I realized how much the French eat bread. I'm allergic to wheat (remember my food allergies). Everyone got sandwiches, I took the meat and vegetables off the bread and ate that. We sat on the grass and ate lunch. Parisians really do enjoy outdoor living. I fed my bread to the birds. Parisian birds are crazy, LOL.



While relaxing on the grass I check on my feet, the blisters have popped and are bleeding...nice. Pharmacies in Paris are easy to locate with the flashing green crosses and the employees are super nice. Well they were nice to meet as I tried to mime neosporin to them. I finally took off my shoe, showed them the problem and they knew what to give me.



One thing you notice in Paris in May, apparently the days don't end. We continued our walks and get back to the hotel when we realize we have been walking for 14 hours, its about 10p and it was still light outside. Hmmm.

I Skype in the work, to my kids, take a shower, grab some twigglers from my food stash and then watch some French TV.

It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment