Thursday, December 27, 2012

Looks can be deceiving

We are still in the first few hours of day 1. Our flight landed at 11a, it is currently about 1p and we cannot check into our rooms until 3p.

So, the guy who got there before the rest of us (I'll call him Christian, because its his name and I'm about to talk about him), has a great suggestion. He thinks we should walk to the Louvre because it is a short walk away. We walk down Rue de Rivoli and it is a short walk to the Louvre.

Coming from a School of Architecture, we can really appreciate the architecture we are seeing. You don't realize how young the US is until you have been to Europe. It was breathtaking.

We silly Americans learn how to cross the street and get to the Louvre safely. And I get my first view of the Eiffel Tower. Wow!

We do our tourist thing and take pictures of and around the Louvre and we admire the architecture.



We are basically so caught up in the moment that when Christian suggests that we walk to the Eiffel Tower, we don't hesitate. We can see it!

**** I'll give you a moment to laugh for a few minutes ****



Ok, the Eiffel Tower has got to be at least 5-6 miles from the Louvre. I'm not exactly sure, but I know I'm not far off in my estimation. And the surroundings are so beautiful that you don't realize how far the Eiffel Tower is from the Louvre and I forgot how exhausted I was.

Looks can be deceiving in Paris.

So, if any of you have ever flown standby you know that a certain dress code is required. I was supposed to be flying first class, I'm dressed business casual...shoes and all. Now remember #5 in the previous blog, talking about packing comfortable shoes, well you also need to wear them.

We get to the Eiffel Tower and it is all that it is. The Seine and bridges are great, but I'm starting to notice that my feet are beginning to hurt a little.

We do the tourist thing and take pics of and around the Eiffel Tower, then do a boat tour on the Seine. The weather was a little cool but it was nice and we were sitting down. Get get back to the Eiffel Tower after the boat tour and thankfully catch the metro back to the hotel.


I would like to let the lady at the information desk in the metro to know that toilette is universal, she knew what I was saying. I shoulda peed on her!

We get to the hotel, it is so past 3p, we get checked in and unpacked.

I take a nice hot shower, get in my jammies and I'm off to bed. Forget about dinner, I'm wiped out! Get on Skype to check on my kids back home then it is sleep time for me.

Day 1 in Paris is finally over!

No comments:

Post a Comment