Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Forbidden

I didn't end the previous day because we didn't go straight to bed. About time huh.

When I left off, we had just bought a bottle of wine from the market next door and it was our plan to take that wine and relax in the beautiful courtyard that we had a wonderful view of from our room.



Ok, so we are now walking about the hotel laughing because apparently we cannot find the entrance to the courtyard. We know there is an entrance because from our room we have seen people sitting there enjoying themselves. But we cannot find the entrance for the life of us. So we play rock/paper/scissors to see who will go ask the guy at the front desk where the entrance is.

I lost, here's the conversation:

Me: Uh, bonjour
Him: Bonjour
Me. Um, can you tell me how to get out onto the courtyard, sil vous plait (I was being polite)
Him: No

(Becky is in the background laughing, I'm confused)

Me: Ok. Maybe you misunderstood me. We would like to sit out in the courtyard please (uh huh, I'm using English now).
Him: No
Me: Why
Him: It is forbidden

(Becky dying laughing now, I'm even more confused)

Me: Excuse me
Him: Non, it is forbidden!
Me: Well, alrighty then. But dude, you're being a little weird about your courtyard.

(Becky falls over!)

So, we just went to the courtyard of Fontaine des Innocents and drank our wine. But we were still curious why the courtyard was forbidden to us. I'll explain in another blog.

After our drinks we ended the day as normal, and began the next day as normal with my Skyping my kids and us having our usual breakfast at our usual cafe. The girl who works there now recognizes us. And yes, my feet still hurt.

On this day we spend a lot of time at the Louvre (never enough time there). The the Palace Royal and  go for lunch to Jardins des Tuileries. Having studied Landscape Architecture, this is a dream.


We're all sitting for lunch in the Tuileries and again I am ordering a grilled chicken salad. They had different types of salads, one was really interesting with rice, so I asked if I can have rice added to my salad. I was promptly told no. I was like, really?! And was then told that it was forbidden! Seriously!!!!! Apparently, it is not Burger King and I can't have it my way.

Yea, Becky is laughing again.

From there we walk to the Petite Palais, the Grand Palais and then we go to the Galleries LaFayette. I had never seen a mall like this....just wow! But I challenge you to find the bathroom in that place. You'd' think there would be one on every floor....NOPE. For future reference, it is on either the 5th or 6th floor, I don't remember.

Then we go to the Champs Élysées, yea baby! We go the Louis Vuitton store there, it is ridiculous expensive. My daughter is a LV nut, so I thought I'd go get her a scarf or something, pfffttt. Yea, if you have 300EU you have nothing else to do with. The prices were so ridiculous that I was actually offended. I went outside where there was a little souvenir shop and got some cards and gift to bring back home.


One of the students bought a pair of sunshades for 300EU. Seriously?! By now my paycheck has been direct deposited, but ain't no way I'd waste money like that. To each his/her own, that's just not me. I feel like I work too hard to pay that much money for a name.

We go back to hotel. The students have margarita night.

It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment