Saturday, December 29, 2012

Wanna Get Away !!!

Hell yes !!!! Pardon my English.

At the beginning of June 2011, Texas entered the beginning of what would turn out to be 60 days of consecutive triple digit high temps....ugh!

June 2011, financing are totally in order, time to reserve the apartment. Too late, now there is a 1 day conflict with the Les Halles apartment (sacre bleu). The lady tells me she has another place in the 7th arrondissement right next to Les Invalides (where Napoleon's tomb is located).

*** I hate the 7th arrondissement!!!!! (having a tantrum moment) ***

Ok I'm back.

The area is nice and quiet (too quiet) but too bourgeois for me, but I had been communicating with this lady for about 6 months and had developed a trust (huh). The pictures of the place looked nice and the price was the same. It was a studio apartment with cable and internet, no a/c but a fan would be provided, plus the August temp in Paris is not too warm (that's what she said). Ok, so I decided yes, and made the payment through AirBNB. Their policy is the landlord does not get the money until after the stay....good policy.

July 2011, the kids and I have got our international student ids made, we have our International SOS cards, copies of our important documentation and contact info has been turned into a pdf and I emailed it to myself and my daughter's and son's email as well (in case something happens to me or any combination of us). My ex and assistant has all of the information as well. I was given a gift in May 2011 of an iPad 2 (I know, wow), so I also loaded the information on the iPad and also downloaded free apps of Skype, the city and the metro system.

*** Meanwhile, here in Texas.....I'm melting ***

August 2011, everything is ready:

  1. Information and back-ups....check
  2. Assistant prepped for my absence....check
  3. iPad loaded....check
  4. Kids hyped....check
  5. Bags packed....check
    • 2 carryons are allowed, so we all took 1 roller bag and 1 backpack (that's all we needed)
    • Brought umbrellas
Time to go. August 15, 2011 leave home for straight flight from DFW to CDG. Get there early...first 3 on the standby list...YES!!!! Only bringing carryon so don't have to worry about checking bags. Standby list posts, we get 3 first class seats.....~~ doing my happy dance ~~ got our boarding passes, now I can breathe, first obstacle crossed.
Flight leaves at 5p, we get boarded....in 1st class....journey part deux begins....




No comments:

Post a Comment